MacPorts AutoBuild

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Jun 20 11:11:41 PDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On May 31, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> I've had it successfully build about 145 ports so far, with several
>> failing for various reasons.  It starts to slow down when you are
>> dealing when building a port with many dependencies as it will
>> uninstall all ports between each build attempt for better cleanroom
>> building.  My MBP's HD gets a bit slow when frequently extracting
>> then
>> removing thousands of files....
>>
>> Give it a try if you'd like and reply here or update the wiki page.
>

> Alternatively, we could set up a dedicated build-test system
> somewhere that could test ports as they are changed (perhaps a post-
> commit hook could add to a list of ports to test), but I don't think
> that macosforge has resources for that (yet?)

Once MacPorts has the software ready for a build system, I can start
requesting hardware to support it. I have not looked at MPAB yet to
see how close it is to an automatic build system. I also remember
James saying MPWA would be used as the front-end for such a system,
and I dont think MPWA is ready either.

So, if someone wants to lead the initiative to assemble the parts and
explain how I can deploy it on hardware, I'd be happy to ask for more
servers here.  If no one wants to take charge of this, I will
eventually work on it, but dont know when I'll have time.

-Bill

---
William Siegrist
Mac OS Forge