Batteries Included Policy

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sat Jun 21 18:41:51 PDT 2008

I would like to propose a policy for general consideration. I believe
it could save everyone energy and brain-cycles; let's call it
"batteries included":
	As a general rule, ports should enable all standard features/
functionality that may be useful to an end-user.

With this:
	- You never install a port to later discover that it is missing some
necessary piece of functionality.
	- Less likely that your port will depend on another port's specific
set of variants.

Features that probably should be enabled by default, but often aren't:
	- SSL support.
	- LDAP support.
	- Database support (pgsql, mysql, sqlite). The client libraries are
cheap to install.
	- SASL/GSSAPI support. Mac OS X is very kerberos-enabled, MacPorts
can and should be too.

Variants should only be used for features that are highly unusual and/
or experimental.

I believe that aiming for "batteries included" will significantly
reduce the headache and hassle of installing some software and getting
on with your work.

-landonf