[37794] branches/gsoc08-privileges/base/src/port1.0

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jun 23 15:47:55 PDT 2008

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2008, at 2:58 PM, pmagrath at macports.org wrote:
>> Revision37794Authorpmagrath at macports.orgDate2008-06-23 11:58:48
>> -0700 (Mon, 23 Jun 2008)Log Message
>> Most actions are now performed using user privileges, up to and
>> including the destroot stage. For install, the original root
>> privileges are recovered and the install takes place as per usual.
>

> That's pretty neat, but doesn't destroot need to be root as well (so
> that ownership/permissions can be set appropriately there?)
>
> As an example, the procmail port usese the 'install-suid' target which
> would set the suid bit on the procmail binary as it's staged in the
> destroot.

Just as a note, the problem that a port might require root privileges
already existed when using MacPorts as non-root. This was already
possible with some configure flags (--with-install-user=foo etc.).

So a flag indicating this is needed anyway and is on Paul's TODO list.

Note also there is the shiny new --with-no-root-privileges which adds
all these necessary configure flags from above (uses ~/Library/Tcl, sets
--with-install-user to the current user). The name is not really the
best, but I couldn't come up with something better either.

Rainer