MacPorts AutoBuild

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Jun 23 22:51:33 PDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2008, at 8:00 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, that's an interesting thought; since activate only creates hard
>> links it'll definitely be faster than extracting the archive followed
>> by creating those hard links.  While inactive, ports shouldn't be
>> looking in /opt/local/var/macports/software for stuff, so should be
>> safe.  Thanks for the idea.
>
> If it doesn't work for some reason (like #7361 or some other issue)
> using direct mode instead of image mode would be an easy minor
> performance improvement (saving the time used to make the
> hardlinks). Probably not as much of a win as being able to use
> activate/deactivate, though.

So far it's working fine, it's tried to build about 170 ports (23
failed, some because of dependencies failing).  Watching things like
the chroot/opt/local/[lib|bin] show things coming and going as they
should, which should allow ports with undeclared dependencies to fail
when not finding what they want.

I didn't do any stopwatch runs before/after so I can't say if things
are any better, but since I've usually been sitting at my machine when
much of the build is going, it definitely feels like it's getting
through more ports.

Bryan