MacPorts AutoBuild

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 24 01:55:59 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 16:24, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> I just finished uploading what I've been working on for the last few
> weeks off and on, my redo of my old DarwinPorts AutoBuild scripts.
> See
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MPAB>

The page says MPAB is to be downloaded from the attachment on that
wiki page. Why not put it in the repository somewhere, like in /users/
blb?

> Right now it builds ports fine in the chroot (though now with 10.5.3 I
> need to rebuild a newer version of my chroot), but does have a few
> limitations.  One is that I've currently only tested it with 10.5 and
> Xcode 3.0.  See the Todo section in the ReadMe.txt file that comes
> with the archive.
>
> I've had it successfully build about 145 ports so far, with several
> failing for various reasons.  It starts to slow down when you are
> dealing when building a port with many dependencies as it will
> uninstall all ports between each build attempt for better cleanroom
> building.  My MBP's HD gets a bit slow when frequently extracting then
> removing thousands of files....
>
> Give it a try if you'd like and reply here or update the wiki page.

Does MPAB just try to build the port with its default variants, or
does it try all permutations of variants the port will accept? I
imagine it's not uncommon for maintainers to test a new version of a
port with the default variants but forget (or not have the time) to
test all variants, so variants might break over time. Patches only
added in variants might need to be updated. Some variants might
conflict with one another but the maintainer may not have marked
that. Etc.