port upgrade when port is not installed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 29 23:27:54 PDT 2008

I asked port to upgrade wget forcibly (because I just increased the
version number locally to so a normal upgrade would not have worked
because the new version is not in the portindex). I forgot I didn't
already have the old version of wget installed because I got an
error, which I can reproduce as follows:

$ port installed wget
None of the specified ports are installed.
$ port clean --work wget
--->  Cleaning wget
$ port -ncuf upgrade wget
--->  Fetching wget
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for wget
--->  Extracting wget
--->  Configuring wget
--->  Building wget with target all
--->  Staging wget into destroot
--->  Installing wget @1.11.4_0
--->  Activating wget @1.11.4_0
--->  Cleaning wget
--->  Fetching wget
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for wget
--->  Extracting wget
--->  Configuring wget
--->  Building wget with target all
--->  Staging wget into destroot
Error: Uninstall wget 1.11.3_1 failed: Registry error: wget 1.11.3_1
not registered as installed.
$ port installed wget
   wget @1.11.4_0 (active)
$

It built and installed wget, then built it again, then tried to
uninstall the old version which was never installed in the first
place. If port upgrade is going to break if a port is not already
installed, it should fail right at the very beginning with a clear
message telling the user to use port install. Alternately, port
upgrade could become a synonym for port install if the port is not
already installed.

I'm running MacPorts trunk @37836.