Google SoC 2008

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Mar 1 08:15:29 PST 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 4:07 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> - Binaries / Packages ("Task 4" in Wiki)
>
> Using archives (tgz/tbz/tlz) would probably be easiest to implement,
> but packages (pkg/deb/rpm) would be the most useful in my opinion.

How would this be different from the dp-light work? (I believe that
that was working and several people were using it). So, it seems to me
like it will take more than just a working patch to get buy-in as the
way forward for Macports.

Historically, Macports rejected deb/rpm as package formats because we
wanted tight integration with Apple's package format (so we could use
the installer receipts to check for dependencies, for example). There
was even some talk of a new apple package format (apkg) that we would
start using.

--
Daniel J. Luke