Checking if a given port is installed in pre-fetch

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 3 08:18:34 PST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net>
> wrote:
>> You can do almost anything from within a portfile, but there are lots
>> of things that you maybe shouldn't.
>>
>> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> I want to upgrade the science/geos port to 3.0.0 but
> matplotlib-basemap requires geos-2.2.3 and will not work with
> geos-3.0.0. Unfortunately it doesn't appear possible to install both
> geos-2.2.3 and geos-3.0.0 at the the same time, so I was wondering if
> there was a way that I could make a port for each version and mark
> them as conflicting?

There's not a built-in way to do this (but it might be a nice base/
feature), and I don't know of a really good way of doing it (you could
probably check for an installed binary in a pre-fetch action and
output an appropriate ui_error message).

Ideally, it would be good to modify one or both of the ports so that
they can both be installed (or get things patched/updated so they can
work with the newer version of the port).

As an alternative, having the science/geos port updated and adding a
new port for the old version that matplotlib-basemap uses might be ok
(especially if it's unlikely that someone might want both ports).

--
Daniel J. Luke