Google SoC 2008

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue Mar 4 08:27:34 PST 2008

Thanks to everybody who pitched ideas for GSoC 2008.

Now the rubber needs to meet the road. We need:

	- Somebody to head up our GSoC 2008 effort (get us signed up with
Google, document the proposed projects, etc).
	- And committed mentors for any projects.

Volunteers?

As Paul Guyot points out, one thing we found last year was that google
seems to allocate project funding to a project based on the total
number of student applications. So a project that gets applications
from 50 students is likely to be allocated more student slots than a
project that gets only 3 student applications. The number of student
applications is probably guided in part by several factors: promotion
and appeal to the student community; number and appeal of project
proposals; etc.

James