universal broken in trunk

Emil Lundberg Emil.Lundberg at bmc.uu.se
Thu Mar 6 05:53:21 PST 2008

In wanting to play around some more with 64-bit macports, I've
installed 1.7 trunk (rev. 34799) from SVN on my PPC G5, 10.5.1.
Installation went well but when I try to use the "universal" variant
(no 64-bit stuff yet!) it breaks, like so:

# port -d install jpeg +universal
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/graphics/jpeg
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/graphics/jpeg
DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port jpeg.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port jpeg.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port jpeg.
DEBUG: Executing variant universal provides universal
DEBUG: can't read "configure.universal_cflags": can't read
"configure.universal_target": no such variable
     while executing
"eval configure.cflags-append ${configure.universal_cflags}"
     (procedure "variant-universal" line 13)
     invoked from within
"variant-universal"
     invoked from within
"catch "variant-${name}" result"
Error: Error executing universal: can't read
"configure.universal_cflags": can't read
"configure.universal_target": no such variable
DEBUG: Error evaluating variants
     while executing
"error "Error evaluating variants""
     (procedure "mportopen" line 51)
     invoked from within
"mportopen $porturl [array get options] [array get variations]"
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

Same thing happens with any port if I set "+universal" in
variants.conf. This all works fine on a different machine (PPC, G5,
10.4.11, trunk rev. 34088). Does anyone have a clue?

TIA,

/Emil