RFC: MacPorts Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sat Mar 8 00:31:22 PST 2008

js wrote:

>> That's a special case for apache2 there we came to the conclusion
>> that
>>  it should be changed.
>
> Hmm, taking apache2 for example was not fair.
> Instead, take php5 for example.
> it installs the followings.
>
>   /opt/local/etc/php.ini-dist
>   /opt/local/etc/php.ini-recommended

The current system has a problem with configuration files,
so it can only install sample/documentation configuration
or it would overwrite any settings the user has done...
In this case, it needs copying to php.ini to take effect.

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12797
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/2365

Using package managers such as RPM/DEB handles all these,
and systems such as Ports uses install/deinstall scripts.

--anders