Portfile skelton generator?

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 17:49:45 PST 2008

Hi,

I've just thought it would be very convenient to have Portfile skelton
generator in base MacPorts system.

The generator would works this way.
Let's say I wanted to add a new port named foo.

$ port skelton foo 1.0 > Portfile

The content of Portfile would looks like

# -*- coding: utf-8; mode: tcl; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil;
c-basic-offset: 4 -*- vim:fenc=utf-8:filetype=tcl:et:sw=4:ts=4:sts=4
# $Id$
PortSystem          1.0

name                foo
version             1.0
#categories          unknown
#maintainers        unknown
#description         unknown
#long_description    RRDtool is a system to store and display time-series data
#homepage             homepage
#platforms           darwin
#master_sites        # master_sites

#checksums           md5  \
#                    sha1 \
#                    rmd160

#depends_lib
...continued

The generated Portfile contains many informative comments to help
developers write a good Portfile.
Generator itself would be very easy to implement once the skelton file
itself was created.

Any comments?