[MacPorts] #14342: python25 drops modules by default, but python25 doesn't (js)

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 07:43:00 PDT 2008

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your feedback.

My intention was to make python24 and python25 looks the same as possible,
not to  downgrade  python24.
I thoguht I would be confused if I upgraded python port from 2.4 to 2.5 and
found that I cannot import zlib anymore.
Yes, this is an FAQ but the thing is python24 and python25 don't have
the same policy.

However, I think you're right. This change would likely break existing
systems badly.
And I must confess I didn't expect there're people using MacPorts for
enterprise.
To lower this risk, I could resign python24 port to separate some of
its standard modules and
add them as dependencies, but I doubt you would like this idea.

Thanks.