Rails 2.0 port ?

Yann Corno yann at daysofwonder.com
Mon Mar 10 12:59:44 PDT 2008

Hi Lutz:

> Hi Yann
>
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:39:11 +0100, "Yann Corno"
> <yann at daysofwonder.com> said:
>> Does anyone know if (or when) Ruby on Rails 2.0 will be available in
>> MacPorts ?
>
> There is an open ticket <http://tinyurl.com/3ydrxb> that asks for RoR
> 2.0. Unfortunately the maintainer of the RoR related ports seems not to
> be reachable. I'd try like to take over maintainership of these ports
> but before this I'd have to look deeper into the specifics of Ruby
> ports.

Thanks for your answer. It sure would be very nice to see it happening.

> An open question is if the RoR ports should go to 2.x from 1.x in the
> existing ports or if the existing ports should be kept and new ports for
> RoR 2.x should be created.

This is always the $1 question when a major upgrade happens on a
framework. You probably want to keep the old 1.x port, at least for some
time, so that legacy applications can still work. My (short) experience
with upgrading my RoR app to 2.0 showed me that on the surface, there
were not many changes to perform on my app to make it work. But at the
same time, the RoR architecture has been reworked a lot, with more use
of plug-ins for previously built-in classes, etc. So you are probably
looking at a rework of the port - but then again, I am no expert.

Best,

Yann