[MacPorts] #14342: python25 drops modules by default, but python25 doesn't (js)

Derek Harland derek at chocolate-fish.com
Mon Mar 10 13:11:12 PDT 2008

On 11/03/2008, at 3:43 AM, js wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> My intention was to make python24 and python25 looks the same as
> possible,
> not to  downgrade  python24.
> I thoguht I would be confused if I upgraded python port from 2.4 to
> 2.5 and
> found that I cannot import zlib anymore.

Yes, that may be confusing.  But it seems that your solution is to
make everyone that runs a port upgrade python24 discover they don't
have zlib anymore.  Thats all I'm pointing out.

It also presumably involves you running through every py-* port and
discovering whether they depend on zlib etc (at least I hope it does)

> To lower this risk, I could resign python24 port to separate some of
> its standard modules and
> add them as dependencies, but I doubt you would like this idea.

I'm fine with that as it won't break existing installations.  But it
doesn't solve your original gripe ... that people can install
python24 and have zlib, and then install python25 and not have zlib.
[Which I'm not sure is that great an issue]

des.