Enabling configureccache by default?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Mar 11 16:14:47 PDT 2008

js wrote:

> ccache really saves so much time, but it is off by default.
> Assuming this is just because MacPorts installer does not contain
> ccache,
> how about adding ccache into the installer and making configurecache
> on by default?
> I think this would help many users who don't know about ccache, just
> like I used to be.
> If ccache has no bad side-effect, I think it's reasonable to make it
> enabled always.

Currently enabling ccache sets CC="ccache /usr/bin/gcc-4.0"

Unfortunately some of the ports don't build with that setting,
trying to use ccache as the compiler or otherwise not working.
Even though it is easy to override with "configure.ccache=no",
it's probably a good idea to leave it disabled in the default ?

Also, tracemode doesn't really work with ccache enabled:
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12218

--anders