[MacPorts] #14342: python25 drops modules by default, but python2[4] doesn't (js)

Harry Parker harrylparker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:46:51 PDT 2008

Hi js and Rainer,
[I accidentally hit send, before I finished my last message. Here is
what I wanted to write.]

I've been following the MacPorts threads about Python for a few months now,
trying to understand the problems and issues.

My vote would be for

       Option 3: Add dropped mods to python24 and python25 as dependencies.

My main Python goal is to write portable scientific Python applications that
will work on both Mac and Windows. To that end, Python on Mac should
be as close to the standard distribution of Python as possible.

Dropping modules from the standard distribution breaks things. I spent
most of a week tracking down problems why my simple, portable
application did not work on MacPorts' Python, only to finally discover
that I had to add additional ports to get what was one install on
Windows or Unix or Linux. (py-hashlib was missing.)

Why? I thought the main goal of MacPorts was to make installation
simple. Splitting standard distributions into multiple ports is going
in the opposite direction.

If someone wants a minimal install, that could be a variant, but the
default should be a full install.

Thanks for working on this.

--
Harry Parker