[34977] trunk/base

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 19 18:15:51 PDT 2008

eridius at macports.org wrote:
> Revision
>     34977 <http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/34977>
> Author
>     eridius at macports.org
> Date
>     2008-03-13 07:13:51 -0700 (Thu, 13 Mar 2008)
>

>       Log Message
>
> Add new --recursive option to port uninstall to uninstall dependents (#14637)

I'm not quite happy with the name --recursive, because it does not imply
in which direction we recurse. I would rather propose something like
--with-dependents or --follow-dependents. Although this is longer, but
much more clear.

We were also talking about 'recursive dependencies' before, especially
for 'port deps'. But in that case it was meant following dependencies,
not dependents. So --recursive might really lead to confusion here.

In order to provide a consistent interface, we should define two options
for this. One for following dependencies and one for following
dependents. (And even one for doing both?)

Currently, we also have the global -R und -n flags which are only used
by upgrade and -u which is used by uninstall and upgrade. In my opinion
these should not be global because they are only used by one or two
targets. Therefore these should use the same naming convention.

Rainer