new port search format

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 16:01:26 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I must say I find the new "port search" output format that's in trunk
> very hard to read. Before, we had roughly a table, and I could scan
> down the left column to read the port names. Now the description is
> in roughly the same place -- albeit indented by a couple spaces but
> it still interferes with my ability to scan the left column, which is
> no longer a column.

I found it unreadable before. The old format used a scheme which did not
work with any terminal size. If your window was smaller than the
description, it was wrapped to the next line. So there wasn't a clear
first column before either, because the descriptions were 'too long'.

So I decided to use an output format which will work on any terminal
size with at least 80 columns (the often used standard). And with a
break at 80 chars also longer descriptions are nice to read.

Maybe we could also put the version and categories in a new line, so
there will be always the first line of a output block with the port's
name and nothing else?

Rainer