[35256] trunk/base/src/port1.0/portdistfiles.tcl:

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Mar 24 16:03:12 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> William Siegrist wrote:
>> I already committed the changes to port.tcl, port.1, and the Makefile
>> earlier.
>
> Hm, okay, must have overlooked this. I just build from trunk today and
> tried `port distfiles` and it didn't work.

Oops. Missed my changes in src/port. Thanks

>> The point of the command is to let a post-commit script parse it
>> when a
>> Portfile is committed. The mirror target does mostly what I want,
>> but I
>> did want to avoid fetching all of these files into the server's
>> $prefix.
>> I could go move the files after the mirror stage of course, but I
>> wanted
>> some separation and a little more control over the fetching. (Like
>> not
>> fetching a file we already have). I dont remember anyone mentioning
>> the
>> mirror target either when we discussed distfile mirroring, so I did
>> overlook this. Maybe I will just extend mirror with some options for
>> alternate destinations and such. I'll have to see how easy that
>> will be.
>
> I didn't know about `port mirror` before today either. Just discovered
> it as I looked at your changes
>
> So you are implementing this with an external script? I thought
> publishing the /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles directory over HTTP
> would be enough. `port fetch` does also only fetch non-existing files.
>
> Maybe install a non-root installation of MacPorts just for fetching?

Yes, I will have a Perl script done eventually similar to what I did
with linting.  The perl script will be committed of course, once its
done. (I havnt even started it yet)

I didnt want to just point apache at the server's macports install. In
fact, this wont work at all currently due to our disk layout. But in
any case, I dont think its a good idea mixing live server software
with a service we're trying to provide.  And installing yet another
copy of MacPorts just to get a separate file tree seems like overkill...

I know fetch/mirror would save me work, but it just didnt seem like it
was easy to make it clean and separate. So I figured the distfiles
command would add an extra debugging tool plus let me parse it server
side however I wanted.

>> The other benefit I thought distfiles would add is portfile devs
>> could
>> get a list of files/urls that fetch would use. Thats probably not
>> terribly useful, but its something that didnt exist before?
>
> Something like `port fetch --pretend`? :-)

distfiles prints out a list of URLs for each distfile plus the
checksums. Doesnt seem like --pretend has the same output, though I
guess with my botched commit you couldnt see that :)

-Bill

----
William Siegrist
Software Support Engineer