[35353] tinyca2 Lint Report

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Tue Mar 25 11:52:06 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:45:12AM -0700, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
> > Landon Fuller wrote:

> >> The original style guidelines only tried to enforce things that
> >> mattered.
> >> So why do we have a machine auto-emailing humans about stuff that
> >> doesn't matter that much?
> >
> > I'm guessing by the few emails I've seen taking issue with the style
> > emails that most people don't mind and that that the people that
> > wrote the tool felt that style does matter.
> >
> > I'm in that camp.  I like seeing all the ports having the same style.
>
> OK. If that's the prevailing opinion I'll just /dev/null the lint
> warnings, hopefully not miss anything truly important, and get on with
> work.

	Is it?  I don't like the 'port lint' stuff that complains about
whitespace - its invisible to humans and to port (so far as I know), why
do we bother people about it?  I also don't like having patchfiles ending
in '.diff', used to be they matched FreeBSD's style (IIRC, and that was
a purposeful decision).  If somebody has a hair about their editor "properly"
displaying patches, why not teach the editor to match on 'patch-' for
highlighting/<whatevering>?

		-eric