[35353] tinyca2 Lint Report

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 26 00:13:46 PDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 15:36, Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> OK. If that's the prevailing opinion I'll just /dev/null the lint
>>> warnings, hopefully not miss anything truly important, and get on
>>> with
>>> work.
>>>

>>         Is it?  I don't like the 'port lint' stuff that complains
>> about
>>  whitespace - its invisible to humans and to port (so far as I
>> know), why
>>  do we bother people about it?  I also don't like having
>> patchfiles ending
>>  in '.diff', used to be they matched FreeBSD's style (IIRC, and
>> that was
>>  a purposeful decision).  If somebody has a hair about their
>> editor "properly"
>>  displaying patches, why not teach the editor to match on 'patch-'
>> for
>>  highlighting/<whatevering>?
>
> The pedantery of port lint is particularly embarassing for
> occasional maintainers like me who don't have commit bit.
> The thing is I can't really ask the list to "please delete the
> space at the
> and of line 14", as lint suggests and expect that people still take
> me serious. Effectively, I can't really do anything about this
> stream of little nagging notes, and that's not good.

Maintainers who don't have commit access: I would expect everyone who
is a maintainer but not a committer to have a commit-buddy whom they
email to commit such things for them. If you don't have one, it would
be advantageous to find one. For example, who has committed the
patches you supplied in your last tickets? Ask them.

Patchfile naming: The old guide was contradictory, and in one place,
recommended the naming scheme "patch-*" while in another place it
recommended "patch-*.diff". The new guide is now consistent in
recommending "patch-*.diff". As I have explained over and over on
this list, I prefer this because my editor can then syntax-highlight
diff files like diff files, instead of like whatever the underlying
file type is, which would be an error, because, e.g., the difference
of two C files IS NOT a C file; it is a difference file and should be
treated as such. Mac OS X cannot assign applications based on file
prefixes. It can only assign applications based on file extensions.
Therefore diff files must have a unique extension, as should all
other types of files.

Trailing whitespace: trailing whitespace after a backslash causes an
error (the line is not continued as expected). Such whitespace must
not exist. I'm not sure if there are other trailing whitespace issues
that were being caught by this check. If not, the check could be
reduced to catching trailing whitespace following a backslash.