New MacPorts release and immediate future plans

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri May 2 01:26:32 PDT 2008

On Apr 27, 2008, at 3:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Welcome back, jmpp. I'm quite relieved to hear from you!

	Hi Ryan, it's good to be back!

> I don't believe in these .5 releases for the sake of .5 releases...
> especially in the third digit. ("System 7.5" sounds cooler than
> "System 7.2" but "System 7.1.5" doesn't sound that much more
> impressive than "System 7.1.2".) Either call it 1.7.0 since it
> includes so much new stuff, or call it 1.6.1 since we're probably
> releasing from the 1.6 branch.

	As said, release numbers are mostly arbitrary, so we can go with
whatever we want. And by popular demand, lets indeed make it a 1.6.1
release (still), 'cause even though much has happened since 1.6.0 it's
all been about bug fixing.

> The new release should include the greatly enhanced port lint code
> which is already trunk, and we should also resolve this port lint
> ticket before the release:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/14799
>
> I would be happy to commit the three patches I attached there if you
> approve.
>
> \r

	Gattaca-like Portfile cleanness is absolutely a maintainer's choice
(one that I'd make, but on a personal basis), so I agree we shouldn't
waste people's time with such pedantry and thus deter them from
reading what would otherwise be a useful report on real warnings. On
this note, I second moving to:

-) warning of trailing whitespace only when the last line character is
a backslash (http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/14799/portlint.tcl.trailing-whitespace.diff
), as these are mostly unnoticeable to humans and could lead to real
problems with the Portfile;

-) not advising how the Portfile should look like, i.e. blank lines,
as this is easily one of the most personal things of all and we have
no business dictating it (http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/14799/portlint.tcl.blank-lines.diff
);

-) not advising on patchfile naming in any way (either if that's patch-
*.diff, patch-*, *.diff or *.patch) at the lint level. From the very
beginning this was only a suggestion that most of us agreed on, so we
can still keep it in the guide and elsewhere as such, a suggestion;
but it was just that, a suggestion, so I really don't think we have
any business annoying a maintainer who, after reading the guide and
what-not, has still chosen to name his patches in whatever other way.
So my take on this particular issue is that we should remove all patch
naming checks from lint, and as a direct result any [file exists foo]
checks, which would instantly resolve Bill's comments at the very end
of that ticket.

	So, all in all, I'm seconding the first two patches and vote for a
reworked third one per my comments, even though my personal taste
would be against them (I'm not trying to say I'm special or anything,
but rather emphasizing that our personal tastes are just that,
personal).

	Regards,...

-jmpp

PS: The 1.6.1 milestone has been created, http://trac.macports.org/milestone/MacPorts%201.6.1
  (bit woot to Bill for our new URLs!). Tomorrow I'll work on filing
1.6.1 relevant tickets into it, getting a ChangeLog together and
addressing some other comments in this thread, but my schedule
shouldn't keep anyone else from doing any legwork if you already have
some tickets handy.