HOWTO: Get started, gain macports-foo, make bad first impression

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat May 3 22:25:49 PDT 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Sounds nice to me. But how would we learn what port works on what
> OS / architecture? I had proposed last year the idea of MacPorts
> automatically sending information back to the mothership regarding
> what ports people had installed on what OS and what architecture,
> which could be used to determine which ports actually work, and
> could also show port popularity. I thought this would make for an
> interesting front-page www.macports.org display, showing the most
> popular ports. But several people didn't want MacPorts reporting
> this information:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2007-May/
> 001604.html
>
> Maybe we should revisit this topic, though like you say, if we get
> binary packages, then we don't need build success/failure statistics
> from each user, but only from the build servers.

	I should note that this is the very spirit of my logging proposal (http://trac.macports.org/wiki/LoggingProposal
), which combined with a build farm, a build plan & schedule and an
enhanced MPWA will hopefully provide tabulated statistics of the build
status of all our ports on all our supported platforms. Yeah, I
realize it may sound like a bit too much forward-thinking, yes, but
holding our breath for this is no longer a question of life and death,
as we will be working on two of these things (logging & mpwa) for GSoC
(I'll be mentoring logging).

	Now, I'm not making any promises, don't start holding your breath
just yet ;-) But I do want everyone to know that some form of stats
gathering *is* a goal we're actively pursuing.

	Regards,...

-jmpp