[macports-mgr] Re: Wiki changes not possible

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed May 7 09:36:38 PDT 2008

William Siegrist wrote:
> On May 7, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>> 	With my PortMgr hat on, I'm willing to loosen up a bit on this
>> particular requirement and experiment for a while to see how it
>> goes. I totally love Wikipedia, but I'm sure they have many more
>> resources than us to deal with the side effects of such openness,
>> e.g. wikispam. So it'd be great if we could keep a close eye on the
>> Trac timeline for unwanted Wiki edits, also looking out for legit
>> edits but with misleading information.

I don't think we will get much spam as long as we still registration for
editing the wiki. If some spammer registers an account, banning will
also be easy.

The benefits from opening up the wiki will be much bigger. Everyone can
contribute to the documentation without creating tickets for it, sending
patches etc.

> I can have Trac send email when a wiki modification happens. I
> actually use this to monitor all of the wikis on Mac OS Forge.  So if
> you want me to add portmgr or -dev to that email, then you dont have
> to watch the Timeline page. (it emails a diff, comment, username, IP,
> etc).

I read the wiki edits as RSS feed (from the timeline). Although it does
not contain diffs, it links to the changed page.

But I don't think we need to spam -dev. If we really decide to send
mails, these should go to -changes with some [wiki] prefix. So others
not wanting to get these diffs can easily set up a filter for it.

Rainer