Where are we with simultaneous Python Framework installs

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed May 7 10:33:07 PDT 2008

Blair Zajac wrote:
> I'd like to move to Python 2.5 for all our PyQt and GUI apps that require the
> Framework build.  We have some major apps written on 2.4, so I'd like to be able
> to have 2.4 and 2.5 simulatenously installed so developers can check their work
> on the same system with a single MacPorts install.

See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/PythonFrameworkTransition and the
python-frameworks branch in svn. I tried to make python24 and python25
more similar and build both as frameworks.

Before this can be released we need an easy way for the transition as
described on the wiki page.

Also updates to the python port groups are necessary. Currently they are
shipped with base, so we can't update them at any time, only with
releases. See ticket #14553 [1] for more. Sure we could solve this issue
before (with a release) and then update the port groups whenever we like
without waiting for new releases.

> Were we going to have the port system update the
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current symlink
> depending upon the version of Python that is currently being used for a build?

python_select will take care of this and set Current to the python
version you selected.

If we also need to update this at build time, the python port groups
need an update to set and restore this link for building. Is there no
other way to choose a version than changing the Current symlink? I am
afraid of race conditions when we often change this symlink...

I am CC'ing reiffert who had a major role in developing the transition plan.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14553