Where are we with simultaneous Python Framework installs

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri May 9 01:09:36 PDT 2008

>> -F is documented to set the include path (like -I):
>> "Add the framework directory dir to the head of the list of
>> directories to be searched for header files."
>>
>> If this works for headers, how is the linking done? In my test, it
>> still did not work ("ld: framework not found Python") or was
>> linked against the system's python which was not what I intended.
>
> Hmm, guess I didn't play with frameworks in strange locations
> enough...
>
> Wonder if there is a gcc solution, or if $DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH is
> the way ?

Nope, seems to be working as I originally thought:

gcc test.c -framework Python

a.out:
         /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
(compatibility version 2.5.0, current version 2.5.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.3.10)

gcc test.c -F/opt/local/Library/Frameworks -framework Python

a.out:
         /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
Python (compatibility version 2.4.0, current version 2.4.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.3.10)

So the -F flag is for adding to the framework paths.

--anders