[36127] trunk/base/doc/macports.conf.in

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 13 09:43:32 PDT 2008

markd at macports.org wrote:
>>> +# PATH settings that are used for external tools (configure, make,
>>> etc.) while installing ports. The default
>>> +# paths are given in the example; it need not be uncommented.
>>> Customizing binpath is intended for advanced users only.
>>> +#binpath
>> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/
>>> sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>>> +
>>>  # Directory containing the X11 installation.
>>>  x11prefix            @x11prefix@
>> Shouldn't we not hard-code the prefix and x11prefix, even if it is
>> just a commented-out example line?
>
> Maybe.  Would it be better to put psuedo paths in the comments such as
> "/foo; /blah" or something?  I think the variable should be referenced in
> the file somewhere, and it seems awkward to list no path.  Also, I see the
> guide doesn't list the default binpath so that should be fixed.

Just use @prefix_expended@ and @x11prefix@ which will get expanded on
install. We already use them at other places in this file.

As a side note, maybe binpath should not be overwritten, but paths given
in the config should be prepended to the default list. This would make
it much easier to use this feature. But I am unsure if we really want
users to make use of this as it allows third-party dependencies.

Rainer