octave-forge tarball format changed

Andrea D'Amore andrea.damore at macports.org
Tue May 13 23:08:20 PDT 2008

On 14/mag/08, at 02:04, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Works, but will result in a huge scripted Portfile. Each phase needs
> to be handwritten (fetching, extracting, etc.).

Indeed

> I don't know about this pkg command from octave. What is its purpose?

To manage octave-forge packages, it is basically an octave interface
to configure&&make&&make install and it is called as interal command

> I don't know what you mean by this.

Same thing of first point but using octave statements to loop into
packages rather than system shell.

> What about splitting it up into several ports and make octave-forge
> depend on all those? This will only work as long as dependencies
> between these sub-ports can be maintained, otherwise this tends to
> break...

I had a look to debian octave packages and they have switched to
single package modules too (maybe accordingly to change in single
octave-forge package), this has the obvious advantage of semplicity
and dependency control. I think we should have this approach.

> What is the release policy? Do all these parts have the same version
> number? Do they all get updated at the same time? Things you have to
> consider when splitting this into smaller ports.

They have separate versions and each one get updated when needed (a
bug patch for example)

> Rainer

Andrea