arbitration of multiple master_sites

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun May 18 00:09:02 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
>>> No. They get mixed in with the other master_sites and sorted.
>>
>> So if we had this master_sites keyword in port foo:
>>
>> master_sites \
>>      sourceforge \                 (ping resp t9)
>>      ftp://example1.org \    (ping resp t4)
>>      http://example2.org \  (ping resp t7)
>>      freebsd                           (ping resp t1)
>
> Actually, the mirror lists get expanded first and pinging is then
> started on all hosts regardless if they come from a mirror list or were
> directly given in the Portfile. The only exception is the fallback
> mirror group named "macports", it will always be last.

Just to be completely clear, 'macports' is an ordinary mirror group like
any other. The reason it is tried last is that it is listed in a
separate fallback_mirrors list that is tried after master_sites. If for
some reason you listed 'macports' in master_sites, svn.macports.org
would be pinged and could potentially sort to any position in the list.

- Josh