Checking that a given variant of a port is active

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 20 09:56:08 PDT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> A bit of background information: average users of numpy itself will
>> probably not need the fortran aspects of numpy, i.e. f2py, therefore
>> for the upcoming numpy-1.1.0 (and corresponding scipy-0.7.0)
>> release(s) I am thinking of moving all numpy fortran support to
>> non-default variants. scipy however requires a numpy built using a
>> fortran compiler. I therefore need to ensure that numpy has been
>> built
>> with either gcc42 or gcc43 fortran support prior to trying to build
>> scipy.
>
> 1. This would require access to the registry, which is not an API that
> is meant to be exposed in Portfiles.
>
> 2. Maybe it would be possible to call registry::installed from a
> Portfile anyway, which would give you a list of all the installed
> versions and variants for a given port name (and their activation
> status). However, my understanding of the namespaces, sub-interpreters
> and so forth is not good enough to say how difficult that would be.
>
> 3. What you really want is for #126 to be fixed.
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/126>

Another option is to break the numpy port into two ports.

One of which works like the 'normal' (non-fortran) numpy and the other
which requires gcc42/43 and builds with fortran support.

Then your scipy port can depend on a port that supplies everything it
needs without requiring a specific variant (and yes, it's not an ideal
solution).

--
Daniel J. Luke