[MacPorts] #15395: Use primary port category for fetched distfile layout

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Thu May 22 11:25:27 PDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 2008, at 1:56 AM, William Siegrist wrote:
>>> Could I get a review of this patch from someone with some base
>>> experience to make sure this wont break anything. I believe it'll
>>> be seamless for end users and is the simplest change to make the
>>> mirror layout the way I want it to.
>>
>> Why would people be browsing the mirrored files? Wouldn't the
>> interaction with the site mostly just be 'port' downloading a
>> mirrored file?
>
> And couldn't you make something like MPWA to browse the files,
> instead of having to wade through all the lowlevel yourself ?
>
> Or, for a low-tech solution, setup some symlink directories.
> "category/foo -> ../foo", then you can browse category/foo/ ?

I definitely hope that MPWA, `port fetch`, and ports.php will make it
so that users dont need to browse via Apache indexes, or even know
what distfiles.macports.org is. However, right now, I am implementing
the low level stuff. If I can also make it useful while we wait on
MPWA, then I think it can help some people.

Now, putting aside whether or not people should be browsing apache
indexes... I want the layout to use a category directory to make it
more manageable on the server for me. I could, and still might, just
make it work like I want on the server and leave MP base alone. But I
wanted to leverage some of the MP base functionality since some work
is already done there for me.  It also seemed like a chance to sync
the layout convention used by Portfiles and distfiles so they are the
same.

-Bill