Merging to the release_1_6 branch

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue May 27 16:06:15 PDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> If we would do this the way you describe, every new feature would
> have to be developed on a different branch.

I think this depends entirely on what you call "a feature."   If by
"feature" you mean "something which is going to take a long time to do
and may or may not even result in success" then sure, you're going to
put it on a branch.  You would have always put it on a branch, in
fact, since a feature like this is disruptive even to other work in
trunk so "good branch practices" still apply and what we're talking
about doesn't even really matter to you since your modus operandi is
going to be the same either way.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about "ongoing improvements and
some amount of WIP" when you say "feature" then that's fine.  You can
still absolutely release trunk periodically, after a convergence
period, and have that kind of work going on in the VCS.  It just takes
a bit of clear communication amongst the developers and the release
engineer as well as a commitment to working that way, e.g. by
following certain engineering practices like always having enough
"configuration switches" in the tree such that WIPs can be turned off
by default and only enabled by those wishing to participate in the WIP
(and I'm not talking about anything complex when I say "configuration
switches" - they can be everything from compilation options to crude
developer-only runtime settings).

- Jordan