Merging to the release_1_6 branch

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue May 27 16:19:19 PDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Jordan brings up the idea not to use branches at all, but to make
> releases from the main line. [ ... ] How would we do minor releases
> for bugfixes without branches?

Easy.  In Subversion, tags and branches are the same thing - it's just
a matter of convention.  If you need to do minor releases for anything
you've already released, you just promote your release tag to a branch
and start checking in everything on that branch.  You create it on-
demand, in other words, and if you never need to make a minor release
then that release tag just stays a tag.

You've yet to raise an issue which suggests anything but unfamiliarity
with the process, Rainer.

- Jordan