Merging to the release_1_6 branch

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 27 23:52:16 PDT 2008

Joshua Root wrote:
> I would have no objection to tagging trunk today and calling it an -rc1.
> Well, except that there are apparently some bug fixes in the 1.6 branch
> that are not in trunk - argh!

But you would definitely tag that 1.7.0-rc1 not 1.6.1-rc1. And where do
you fix a bug found in that rc1? On and trunk and you merge it back to
the 1.7.x release branch. So you definitely need a 1.7.x branch and
there is no way to make that from trunk as it could get other changes in
the mean time which are not suited for a release. If we would not make a
release branch as suggested by Jordan and make the release from trunk,
trunk would have to go into code freeze until the final release is there.

So if a release was near, I would do (with some pseudo-shell commands):
   svn cp trunk branches/release_1_7
   svn cp branches/release_1_7 tags/release_1_7_0-rc1

Bug fixes go to branches/release_1_7. Anything can happen on trunk in
the mean time. If the release candidate was considered bug free,
   svn cp branches/release_1_7 tags/release_1_7_0
And then release from that tag.

This is how it should be done in my opinion, if I was any unclear in my
previous explanations. And I think this is also the way we do it
already, except the fact that some new features were merged back to
release_1_6. Why did this happen? Because nobody watches the merges or
it is not clear who does the merging at all.

And now please back to my initial question.

Rainer