[41395] trunk/dports/devel/autoconf/Portfile

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Sat Nov 1 20:16:42 PDT 2008

Eric Hall <opendarwin.org at ...> writes:

> 	Why do we have a perl5 port alongside the perl5.8 and perl5.10
> ports?  If its breaking things it seems to me we shouldn't have a plain
> 'perl5' port until we're ready to make an proper switch to it.
>
> 		-eric

Both the perl5 creation and the autoconf unpleasantness were my doing.
My apologies for any problems, but I am glad to now know the correct use
of path dependencies.
Thanks for the fix.

The rationale for perl5 is documented in #16830
(http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16830).

I still think a piecemeal transition is possible with the correct use of
path dependencies.
A proper switch would have to wait until the next version of MacPorts
because perl5-1.0.tcl depends on perl5.8.

-Marcus