portindex updates

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Nov 9 07:31:02 PST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 9:03 AM, William Davis wrote:
> Commit by ryandesign at macports.org :: r41701 /trunk/base/src/port/
> portindex.tcl: (link)
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/41701
> portindex.tcl: Generate the port index in a temporary file first,
> then replace the PortIndex file all at once; fixes #16234
>
> If this is the case cant we easily update the index more than twice
> a day now?  Perhaps even every half hour?

portindex is an annoyingly expensive operation. I don't know if the
added load on the macports servers would be worth it?

If someone gets around to implementing an incremental portindex option
(say we store the index in an sqlite database and we add a post-commit
hook that just updates the index entries for the ports that were just
committed) then we could probably have an always up-to-date index
without the huge resource requirements.

--
Daniel J. Luke