portindex updates

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Nov 9 14:32:19 PST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> If someone gets around to implementing an incremental portindex
> option (say we store the index in an sqlite database and we add a
> post-commit hook that just updates the index entries for the ports
> that were just committed) then we could probably have an always up-
> to-date index without the huge resource requirements.

Of course, if someone gets around to finishing Kevin's "remote
index" (or just starting over with it, given the age of those bits)
then we wouldn't even need a PortIndex since ports would always live
on the server and simply be pulled over individually as needed or
mirrored as one big database to some local server.  Either way, the
index would be a property of the database itself and get updated
simply as a consequence of adding new ports to it.  We could also tag
ports with attributes then ("experimental", "stable", "submitted-but-
not-validated") and solve another set of problems in the process...
I know, I know, I suppose I want a pony, too...

- Jordan