Too many libconfig's

David Evans devans at macports.org
Tue Nov 18 16:57:23 PST 2008

I was trying to install ntfsprogs +crypto today and found that it failed
configuration looking for a pkg-config file for libconfig.

We have a port libconfig but it doesn't provide pkg-config files and
definitely isn't the one that ntfsprogs is looking for (completely
different API).

The homepage for our libconfig is

http://www.rkeene.org/oss/libconfig

Found the libconfig that ntfsprogs is looking for at

http://www.hyperrealm.com/libconfig/

So the question is how to differentiate these two packages:

1) Current libconfig port  is not referenced by any other port based on
grep of the current dports tree. Could replace this one with the new one
but they really are different packages and someone might be using the
current one somewhere.

2) Commit the new libconfig package as libconfig-new or the like
(suggestions welcome) and make ntfsprogs depend upon it.

3) Rename the existing one (libconfig-old) and make the new one libconfig.

4) Something else.

Ideas and suggestions are solicited and appreciated.

By the way, the newer package has both C and C++ interfaces which may be
the story behind this ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14035