[42296] trunk/dports/databases/db46/Portfile

Trannie Carter nottwo at macports.org
Wed Nov 19 14:19:58 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:07 AM, nox <n.oxyde at gmail.com> wrote:

>>     +
>>     +        if { [ variant_isset dump185 ] } {
>>     +            move ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/db_dump185 \
>>     +                ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/db46_dump185
>>     +        }
>>      }
>>
>   One question and a little suggestion:
>   Why a variant for this small utility?

You mean as opposed to making it part of the default build?  I agree that it is
a relatively small utility to get its own variant.  The db44 port enabled
db_dump185 by default and mentioned it in the port description.  db46
explicitly dropped that and I assumed there was a reason;  Probably because not
many people use db1.8 anymore :)  But I found an old bdb file I needed access
to, so I added a variant.

I'll start posting to macports-dev when there's ambiguity.  I'm still pretty
new to ports best practices.

> Instead of testing whether the variant is set, you could write another
> post-destroot block in the variant itself.

Oh, I'm not familiar with that pattern.  I modeled that section after the
MacPorts Guide section 4.4.2 Variant Actions in a Phase.  Maybe this new style
is described in the trunk version of the guide.

thanks!

trannie