upgrading cyrus-sasl2

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Nov 19 21:02:06 PST 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> That's 12288:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12288>
>
> so much-improved in 1.7.
>
> Though the port in need of an upgrade was still installed just deactivated,
> so the big question is whether outdated should pay attention to deactivated
> as well?  And I think for cyrus-sasl2, don't you have to completely
> uninstall as it'll be reactivated if you try doing an upgrade of it?

If you want to keep the old version around in case of problems, you have
deactivate the old version, and then use `port install` to install the
new version.

I fixed a bug where upgrade would fail to activate the current version
of the port, but I don't understand why it needs to do that in the first
place. Its behaviour is still rather buggy:
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16085>

It does need to end up with some version of the port active, however,
because upgrade is recursive and you don't want a dependency to be
installed but not active when you're building. In theory, it should be
possible to rearrange the code to ensure this without causing these
sorts of problems.

- Josh