X11 in Macports

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Nov 23 10:39:13 PST 2008

On Nov 23, 2008, at 03:32, Joshua Root wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>> Well the x server itself can be xorg-server... but there's no real
>> reason that we *need* an X server... we just need to worry about the
>> client side deps and the user can run it on whatever server they want
>> (they can use Exceed on windows for all we care)
>
> I was thinking of the case where a newbie doesn't have an X server,
> installs GIMP or something, and complains that it won't run.

Right... good point...  I don't like the idea of depending on an X
server since it's not technically needed on the system... but if that
is something we want to do, I'll do it... let's face it, it's rare
that someone would actually want to use gimp remotely... and if
someone REALLY wants to not install the server, they can just hack the
portfile or uninstall it after...

>> I wasn't really talking about installing the binary Apple
>> package... I'm
>> talking about building it from source from Macports if the user
>> desires
>> to use it instead of the one on their system...
>
> Ah, yeah, that would be nice too. :-)

And should be close... Someone in the xquartz-dev list has been trying
to get it building on Tiger, so I've been pushing in fixes for all the
obstacles he's been running into.