Install Order

Neil neil at voidfx.net
Sun Nov 30 13:40:38 PST 2008

(Stolen from Ryan Schmidt's mail on 29 Nov 2008, at 14:48.)

Order of Operations to Install
      1  fetch
      2  checksum
      3  extract
      4  patch
      5  configure
      6  build
      7  destroot
      8  install
      9  deactivate
     10  activate
     11  clean

(I'm kind of thinking out loud here...)

Proposal:
What if we changed the order slightly, so we do steps 1-7 for all the
packages first, and then, if there are no errors, do 8-11?

"Why?":
Suppose we have pkg2 which depends on pkg1.  If they both build fine,
then we're dandy.  But if pkg2 fails, pkg1 is still installed.  If
there are a lot of dependencies, it can be a pain to track them down.
If we separate the steps into two phases, then most breaks during the
installation (which mostly happen during 5-6, I think) won't leave
unneeded ports on the system (at least not after a clean command).

Thoughts?