[MacPorts] #16551: p5-mac-carbon does not install without forcing (-f)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 2 03:04:40 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I think the discussion was about changing the maintainer timeout, not
>> abandoning it, but I don't think it got anywhere. It's still
>> documented in the Guide that if a maintainer does not respond to a
>> ticket in 72 hours, anybody else can take it, and I recommend still
>> following that rule.
>
> But it is also documented that if the maintainer does not respond in
> three weeks, the port should be considered abandoned.
>
> <http://guide.macports.org/#project.update-policies.abandonment>
>
> But if tickets are always picked up after 72h, there will never be the
> three weeks timeout and the unresponding maintainer will never be
> removed...

Yes, I do agree the port abandonment procedure is in conflict with
the maintainer timeout rule. I think the timeout rule is fine; we
just need a better abandonment procedure.

It currently says if a maintainer has not acknowledged a ticket
within 3 weeks, then a new port abandonment ticket should be filed,
and that the port abandonment ticket can be acted upon immediately to
assign a new maintainer. I propose this be changed so that if there
are n or more tickets about a maintainer's ports that he has not
acknowledged, and it has been more than 72 hours since they were
filed, then a new port abandonment ticket should be filed and
assigned to the maintainer. If the maintainer does not respond to
that ticket within 3 weeks, then the port is considered abandoned. n
could be some number between, say, 2 and 5. How about a nice round 3?