BBEdit language module for Portfiles

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 21 18:03:36 PDT 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>>> I have created a preliminary BBEdit language module for editing a
>>> MacPorts Portfile. I don't have a place to host it right now, so I
>>> created a ticket and attached the file.
>>
>> Seems like the contrib "branch" would be a good place to stick it:
>>
>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/
>>

> Agreed, though maybe we should call it something generic like
> editor-bindings (I don't like that name, but hopefully you get the idea) as
> I can probably take that plist of Frank's and make something similar for
> vim, and maybe TextMate.  There's probably other editors people use as well.

I wouldn't add them to the repository. I assume most of them need some
instructions how to install/use them, as was given in the description of
the ticket Frank created. So I think it would be better to add them to
the wiki where you can place the description right next to the download
link. Additionally, the wiki can be found by external search engines or
by the search on Trac.

I suggest to either add them directly on CommittersTipsAndTricks [1] or
create a dedicated wiki page for editor support and link it from there.

Personally I use filetype=tcl for Portfile editing in vim. Works mostly
fine, except that it highlights some keywords at the wrong place (e.g.
it highlights "append" in "build.args-append"). But as you can use Tcl
code in Portfiles, hopefully everything possible should be covered.

If you are using vim, put the following line in your ~/.vim/filetype.vim:
  au BufRead,BufNewFile Portfile set filetype=tcl

Rainer

[1] <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/CommittersTipsAndTricks>