Identifying portname in a bug?

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Sep 12 17:13:45 PDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Jay Levitt wrote:

> William Siegrist wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:
>>>
>>> 3. Does trac allow an arbitrary validation script to run?  If so,
>>> we could
>>> check that the portname was, in fact, the name of a valid port.
>>>
>> This is already covered by the original Port field ticket, which is
>> a work in progress:
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15210
>
> Cool.  I should've been clearer about "arbitrary"; I meant as in
> "Could I contribute something in Ruby, cuz I ain't learned Python
> yet."  I think Trac plugins can only be Python eggs.  (It's really
> hard to find discussions ABOUT Trac on Google; you get everyone's
> Trac site instead.)  Oh well.

Yes, its a little tough, but Trac's Trac is at http://
trac.edgewall.org/. So this is a good place to start:

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment

Basically, there is a list of component extension points that you can
implement (like Interfaces or Hooks in other languages).   So a plugin
can get a chance to run code on every page load, ticket change, wiki
rendering, whatever.

And yes, its all Python (v2.5 in our case).

Thanks for filing the tickets
-Bill