[40228] trunk/dports/lang/scala/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 29 22:45:17 PDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Michel Salim wrote:

>>> Right, but  I don't plan on increasing the epoch every time though.
>>
>> You don't need to increase the epoch every time you update the
>> version; only every time you update the version in a way that
>> MacPorts wouldn't otherwise detect -- like when updating from a
>> release candidate to a final version. That's not so bad, is it? And
>> it has the advantage of giving the user the correct version number in
>> "port info" and "port installed" and wherever else.
>
> Any reason we don't tag the pre-release data into the release number
> instead? That way it can be scala-2.7.2-0.rc2.1 -- assuming the
> release number is allowed to be non-integral, of course.

My reason against that would be the desire to have the same version
number in the port as the developers themselves use to describe their
software. In this case, the developers of scala call it "2.7.2.RC2",
not "2.7.2-0.rc2.1" or "2.7.1.99.2.7.2.2".

When you say "release number", if you mean the port's revision field,
then sorry, the revision must be an integer.