Important: MacPorts PortMgr Changes

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Sep 30 12:32:02 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 9:18 AM, James Berry wrote:

> We have asked Jordan Hubbard, the father of MacPorts, to join us on
> the Elder Council, and he has given his tentative acceptance.

First, let me thank James, Markus and Juan for having both the insight
and the courage to recognize their own life-induced limitations and
put the project ahead of any personal attachments they may feel.  That
is a less common virtue than one might think, so I raise my hat to
them for taking this step and for the degree of thought and care they
so clearly put into this message!

Second, I do fervently hope that their "call for volunteers" is not
met with the sound of crickets chirping because this project really
does need leadership to get to the next phase of its development -
milestones like binary packages [available from macports.org], regular
builds and associated regression testing, and further improvements to
some of the more advanced technologies (at least by comparison to the
make-based ports collections we're all familiar with) which underlie
MacPorts.

There is still a lot of untapped potential in the current design, and
the next generation of leadership for MacPorts will have a lot to do
with how much energy and focus is applied to these sorts of
challenges, so if you're one of the regular faces we see around here
(or even someone who's not so regular, but would like to be and
sincerely feels they have the time and energy required), please, step
up!

Finally, I'd like to correct one small misperception, as flattering as
it is, which is that I'm the "Father" of MacPorts.  Landon Fuller
really deserves that distinction, if any single individual does, and I
think it's more accurate to refer to me as the "Godfather" of MacPorts
since I got the project initially created and funded, and you can see
my fingerprints here and there in the design (usually as a result of
cornering Landon in his office and waving my arms until he gave in on
some point), but Landon is the guy who put all the pieces together and
actually coded version 1.0.  From that point forward, we also owe a
debt of gratitude to a number of non-Apple people (and they know who
they are) for taking things much, much further and making sure that
the baby we left on the community's doorstep did not subsequently die
from exposure and neglect  [OK, that's a HORRIBLE analogy, but I'm
known for those, so I'll just leave it at that].  Thank you portmgr,
and thank you macports volunteers!

We at Apple will, in turn, continue to contribute where we can by
keeping the infrastructure up and running, but it's really up to the
community (that's you) at this point, so I really hope people will
step into these rather large shoes and make the most of the
opportunity to further organize and promote the wealth of open source
offerings for Mac OS X!

- Jordan