runtime vs build dependencies in making metapackages?

Allen McBride allencmcbride at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:24:29 PDT 2009

In trying to make an mdmg for GNU Solfege, I first installed a clean
copy of MacPorts, then used "port -f destroot solfege", which I now
know was wrong.  But I counted 86 dependencies installed.  Then I did
"port mdmg solfege", and counted 51 dependencies that MP tried (and
failed, of course) to make packages of.

Now I know, or think I know, that the correct way to do this is to do
"port -f destroot" for each dependency, and then "port mdmg solfege".
But on which list do I use "port -f destroot", the 86 member list or
the 51?  Is it that, in making a metapackage, I only need to worry
about runtime dependencies, because build dependencies will already be
included in the solfege binary?  And apparently I've got 51 runtime
dependencies, and the rest are build deps?  That would all make sense
to me, but I'm just speculating.

Thanks!
--Allen