Ports linking against the wrong Python.framework (was: Re: [MacPorts] #19223: subversion 1.6.0 stubbornly linking against python25-apple?)

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Wed Apr 8 13:15:47 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 06:03:44PM +0200, Rainer Müller said:
[...]
> We need to get ports not to use these flags. Either we trick ports not
> to link using -framework by patching each of them or by modifying the
> global python configuration not to report itself as a framework. But
> then what would be a reason to keep it as a framework as it causes us so
> much troubles?
>
> As far as I know the only advantage of the frameworks is currently to
> have working pythonw and IDLE. Is there really no way to get this
> without a framework build or did just nobody try yet?

The last time I tried, you had to build it as a framework if you wanted
pythonw on the Mac.  Though I haven't tried it in a few python versions
(that was either 2.3 or 2.4 when I last tried).

With enough patches to python it could probably be done if that still isn't
supported, but moving back to a more *nix-like install would probably cause
yet more pain.  So in this case we should probably make sure it'd be worth
it first...

Bryan